Eureka

300-foot Steam Ferry

Built in 1890

Based at San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

Originally built as the Ukiah, a railroad freight-car ferry, she was rebuilt after extensive damage and relaunched as the passenger and car ferry Eureka in 1923. She ran between San Francisco and Sausalito until the new Golden Gate Bridge killed that route in 1941; she continued to serve on San Francisco Bay until 1957. She’s the longest wooden merchant ship still afloat and contains one of only two surviving walking beam steam engines.