Splash

31-foot Amphibious Truck

Built in 1942

Former Navy amphibious vession doing tourist duty, seen here emerging from the water at the Sausalito boat ramp. Commonly known as "ducks," the name is a play on the official name of "DUKW-353," which is derived from a Navy nomenclature scheme. More than 21,000 were built as amphibious trucks for World War II. DUKWs played important roles in the invasion of Salerno, Italy in 1943 and in the landing at Normandy in 1944. In one last major wartime use, 370 DUKWs participated in the crossing of the Rhine in March, 1945.