Brigadoon

65-foot Schooner

Built in 1924

Based at Alameda

Brigadoon was built as Joann in 1924 by the Britt Brothers in Lynn, MA. She is the first design by L. Francis Herreshoff, son of Nat Herreschoff. She sailed on the East Coast under various owners during the 1920s,1930s and 1940s.

Sterling Hayden, sailor, actor, and writer renamed the boat Brigadoon of Booth Bay and sailed her to the West Coast in the 1940s. He sold her in the 1950s to a Southern California sailor who took her on the 1959 Transpac, and then to Tahiti for 6 months.

Brigadoon came to the Bay Area in 1960. She was owned by land developer Gary Reese for 15 years, and he sold her to Dino Valenti of the Quicksilver Messenger Service.

Patti and Terry Klaus purchased the boat in 1976, rebuilt her over the years, and have been successfully racing and sailing her for the past 30 years.

Brigadoon has been the flagship of the St. Francis Yacht Club, the Master Mariners, and has been a consistent winner in MMBA, Jessica Cup Races, and has been a winner at the MMBA/Corinthian Wooden Boat Show held each June in Tiburon.

Brigadoon has been sailed by two generations of family and friends over the last 30 years, with the third generation starting to come aboard. The Klaus Family still owns Brigadoon. She is berthed at the family home in Alameda.